Amazon Associates, also known as the Amazon affiliates program is one of the best ways to monetize your blog. It ranks up there with Google Adsense in terms of potential to earn you a lot of money. And it very VERY easy to get approved!
All you have to do is sign up and get immediate approval after filling a brief questionnaire. Then you can place Amazon affiliate links on your site and begin to promote and earn.
How do you earn? You do so when someone makes a purchase on Amazon after clicking in through one of your links. Amazon then pays you a commission, which could be up to 10% in some cases. One other good thing is that if the person goes on to buy different things from what you advertised the next day, you also get a commission!
We have compiled a rough guide below to help you if you decide you want to start earning through the Amazon Affiliate Program.
Download Now: Ecommerce Planning Templates + Kit
First Of All, What Is The Amazon Affiliate Program?
The Amazon Affiliate program which is also called Amazon Associates, is the worlds biggest affiliate marketing program. It is run by Amazon, the world’s giant online store. Amazon gives semi-automatic approval to people who apply to join the program. Affiliates advertise products from Amazon.com on their blogs by creating links and putting such links on their blog. Affiliates then earn referral fees when people click the links and purchase products from Amazon.
Amazon Affiliate Program Rules And Requirements You Need To Know Of
We have listed Amazon’s rules that affiliates need to comply with, so they don’t get penalized by Amazon. See below.
Most of these rules were made to promote ethics and to prevent associates from gaming the system. Browse through and copy them in your mind’s jotter, so you don’t break them.
- You must let your readers know in your communication that you may be eligible to earn from your recommendations.
- Don’t make untrue claims in your communications
- Avoid referring to prices in your communications, so their is no confusion if there is a price change.
- Don’t use Amazon’s affiliate links in offline promotions, or in eBooks, or in email.
- Never use link shorteners on affiliate links.
So, How Do You Start As An Amazon Associate?
- Make sure you already own a website or blog. If you don’t you can easily create one. You can create a WordPress self-hosted blog or website fairly quickly.
- Go to the Amazon Associates homepage.
- Fill the questionnaire presented to you (doesn’t take much time).
- Go through phone call verification of your site. If you experience any problems with phone call verification while using your browser, don’t panic. Simply switch to Opera browser and it will work. I am a witness to this. No need to go buy a US phone number to pass the phone verification.
- Create Amazon Affiliate links after you are approved.
- You would be prompted to highlight and copy your chosen link and paste it in your blog or website. If you are in WordPress, you can use the Insert Headers and Footers plugin to insert the code – in the headers area if you like. After you do this, the ads will begin to show. That’s it.
Afterword: You have 180 days to make at least one sale in order to remain in the program. If not, Amazon will terminate the account and advice you to work on improving your traffic.
And if you really improve your traffic and reapply, you’ll notice a great change in your Amazon Affiliates earnings report. We wish you good luck if you decide to join the Amazon Affiliate Program.