The link below leads to the sad story of an 11-year-old girl in South Carolina, US, whose brain was eaten up by some deadly, brain-eating amoeba, after she went for a swim, leading to her death. Accoding to reports the girl (RIP) got exposed to the amoeba (Naegleria fowleri) following a swim in Charleston County’s Edisto River on July 24.
Experts say the amoeba enters the body when infected fresh water enters the nose. From there, it creeps up to the brain and begins to eat it up (Oh!). Another person from North Carolina died recently from the same brain-eating amoeba. I guess people in the US states of the Carolinas and others farther afield should be very careful when swimming outdoors.
See the full story here: 11-yo South Carolina girl dies from brain-eating amoeba — RT America