After yesterday’s epic Champions League final encounter, Real Madrid have been crowned champions of Europe for the 11th time, after they beat Atletico Madrid 5-3 on penalties. Here are some new European football records made as a result of the match.
- Atletico have now contested more European Cup/Champions League finals without winning the trophy than any other club (three).
- This was the eighth Champions League final to go to extra-time, and the seventh to go to a penalty shootout.
- Zinedine Zidane is the second man (after Miguel Munoz) to win the European Cup/Champions League with Real Madrid as both a player and a manager.
- Zidane is the first French manager to win the Champions League.
- Sergio Ramos became the fifth player to score in two different Champions League finals, and the first defender to do so (also Raul, Samuel Eto’o, Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo).